Friday, March 22, 2019

7 & 8 - John William McKim (1862-1938) and Amanda Pamela Sloss (1859-1927)


Your grandfather William McKim wrote the following recollections about his grandfather. He started by explaining that he suspected his grandfather, John, never knew his real mother: 

When my father (Hollis) died and I cleaned out his personal effects, I found an old tintype of Ellen McKim (nee Gould), whom I never knew existed. I gave this to my daughter Ellen, due to the name. I told her I did not believe this was her ancestor.

But later from information from the tombstones, it seems that Robert Alexander McKim, my great grandfather, had two wives, both of whom he outlived.  I believe Ellen Gould McKim was my true great grandmother. She died when my grandfather (her son John) was four. I believe John was raised by his stepmother Margaret. I doubt that my own father (Hollis) ever realized Margaret was not his true grandmother. 
John William, known as Billy or JW, was married to Amanda Pamilla Sloss (Millie). They lived with their family (Robert Paul, Hollis, and Frances) on South Diamond Street in Mercer. Both the McKims and Slosses were at least modestly successful. When an infant, I am told I slept in a dresser drawer when in Mercer.

So far as I know, JW was well-known in the town but never what you would call rich or famous. He would not have been college educated. He owned a wallpaper and paint store in Mercer. As near as I can figure, if you want a good picture of their life, see the movie “Music Man” or “Meet Me in Saint Louis.” Those houses are furnished like grandad’s house was, and Dad had many tales of ice cream socials, hay rides, excursion trips on the P & L.E. RR to amusement parks, etc, in Erie, Pittsburgh, Stoneborough, the Mercer County fair, etc. I even have a few pictures such as a branch of local belles in a surrey with fringe on top obviously having a great time on an outing.

I never knew Millie, my paternal grandmother. She died before I was 1 year old.


In the Pittsburgh of the 30’s and 40’s, walls and wallpaper had to be cleaned annually and re-done about every three years. Steel mills and railroads belched smoke year-around and the only heating fuel for commercial and residential use was soft coal.

Millie had been sick with tuberculosis for some time, and spent time in Florida for her health. About the only photo I have of her was taken there seated in a rattan chair with palm trees in the background.
My mom apparently liked and respected Grandma McKim (Millie) and pitied her for having to live with JW. She was the only McKim, aside from my father, who my Mother ever remotely liked. She had no use for Aunt Frances (Hollis’ sister), and she barely tolerated Uncle Mac. But she went along when my Dad traveled to Mercer quite often until his father died. 

My mother regarded Grandad McKim with disdain. One incident that inspired her disgust was once when Grandad and my Dad were going uptown for something. Grandma was expecting the iceman was coming to make a delivery, but she had no money to pay him and asked JW to leave some. He dropped a nickel or a dime in a punch bowl on the dining room table, and took off. This enraged my mother. I dare say it was pretty cheap. I hesitate to defend JW, but the amount left for ice may have covered the bill. (This was 1925). It is not known how much money JW had in his pocket at the time. Also it is not known what would have happened if Grandma had said, “Leave me a dollar,” or $5, or whatever. I will bet JW wasn’t carrying $5 anyway. But the incident provoked much animosity in my mother.

Granddad McKim had no car and could not drive anyway. About once a year, Dad drove to Mercer and brought him to visit us and Uncle Mac. Grandma was long dead by this time. This usually entailed taking granddad to see a Pittsburgh Pirates game. This irked my Mother inasmuch as she was left to tend the kids while JW was treated to a baseball game. 

After grandma died, JW lived on until his death at the house on South Diamond Street. The upstairs rooms were rented out to one or more male roomers. In 1936, one regular roomer hadn’t seen granddad in several days and hadn’t heard that he had gone away, and went looking for him. He found JW unconscious on the bathroom floor partially clad. It is believed he collapsed while shaving one morning, apparently of a stroke. He was rushed to Mercer Cottage Hospital. Dad was called and drove immediately to Mercer and stayed several days and finally had to drive home to Oakmont to get some clean clothes. When Dad got home, he got a phone call that Granddad had died without ever regaining consciousness."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Introduction: An exceptionally American family tree

This blog is written for the grandchildren of William and Phyllis James McKim, the children of Marilyn, Karen, Ellen, and Susan .     When t...